Thursday, November 16, 2006

It's not a cult!

When I first began this lifestyle, my husband was very concerned. Whenever I uttered the words "raw vegan" he would cringe. He didn't relax until I read him an excerpt from the wonderful book Raw Food Real World: 100 recipes to get the glow. It said something about the fact that raw foodism is not a religion or a cult. I will reiterate by saying that one does not need to live in a commune or a tent to enjoy the benefits of raw foods. You are not required to stop wearing deodorant. Thank God! I like to step outside of all those limiting labels and ego-driven nonsense. It's not about martyrdom for me. It's about self-love and feeling good. Amen!
I will note here that I am the only person I know that follows this way of eating to any real degree. Actually, most of the people who know me have no idea. The only time I really talk about it is when someone asks me how I lost all this weight, or what's different about me (they usually comment on my skin which looked terrible before this life change).
I have always been interested in and exposed to alternative health methods and nutrition. I rebelled for awhile, but I must admit that I've gathered some fantastic information over the years. I've had the privelidge of meeting many people who have healed their bodies with food and a change in their mind-set. I hope to meet more people through this blog and hear their stories!

No comments: